When you decide to use direct mail as one of your main marketing strategies, you need to create a targeted mailing list that reaches your target audience. Let’s look at the different factors that contribute to successful direct marketing campaigns and determine how you can use them effectively.
Finding the right recipients for your direct marketing message may seem daunting at first. However, you can leverage technology to find the right prospects and ensure a positive response rate to your direct mail marketing campaign. At Presort, we use Data Axle to build our clients’ mailing lists. Data Axle offers many targeted direct mailing list capabilities, including the following:
- Database Access: Data Axle uses thousands of sources to compile several different databases you can use to build your mailing list. For example, you can use their Consumer Data files to view datasets for over 188 million US and Canadian households. You can filter these datasets to find the demographics you’re looking for and use that data to begin building your mailing list. They also divide their databases into B2C data, B2B data, transactional data, donor data, and many other specific iterations to help you find the exact type of data you need to build your mailing list.
- Marketing Automation Integration: Software like Data Axle integrates into platforms like Salesforce. You can access thousands of data points from your business platform and use them to pare down your mailing list.
These are just two examples of many different capabilities that Data Axle offers. Taking advantage of this type of technology helps you target businesses and consumers who’ll receive the message you’re sending through your direct mail campaign.
To create a targeted mailing list, you need to know your target audience and use technology to pull the right data to build your list. However, once you build your list, it’s most effective if you create a campaign that includes the following components:
- Clear Call to Action (CTA): A call to action or CTA tells your target audience what to do when they receive your direct mail materials. Common CTAs include “Call us today for a free inspection” or “Visit our website to register for rewards.” Put it near the top or bottom of your mail piece and highlight it in the design. Keep it short and concise. The more direct your CTA is, the more quickly your audience can act on it.
- Clear Graphic Design: Use a clean layout with only a few colors and just enough text to get your message across to your audience. Work with a graphic designer to create a layout that expresses your message clearly and fits the mail pieces you’ve chosen. When you have a clear graphic design layout, your audience will grasp your message quickly and effectively.
- Digital Marketing Follow-Up: When you create a direct mail campaign, follow it up with an email or social media post that encourages your audience to engage with you further. If you don’t follow up with your audience after you complete your direct mail campaign, your audience won’t engage with your business, and you won’t have any new customers or leads.
Presort offers a variety of direct mail services to help you build the right campaign for your business. We use our mailing list services to locate the right prospects for your campaign. Our retargeting services similarly use your website traffic to send direct mail pieces to prospects three to five days after they visit your site. We use Data Axle and other professional partners to access data to create the type of mailing list you need for a particular campaign. Then, when you need a different type of direct mail campaign, we create a mailing list for that one. We also provide direct mail marketing printing for all the pieces in your campaign. Our services boost your business’s reach and increase your overall brand awareness by helping you target the audiences who will most likely engage with your products and services.
Reach out to us today to begin building the right mailing lists for all your direct mail campaigns.