Welcome to the dynamic world of marketing, where businesses are always searching for the perfect strategy to captivate their audience. While digital channels are often the star player, there’s a classic one that refuses to be sidelined—direct mail.
Yes, you heard that right. In the age of hashtags and likes, physical mail still holds its ground as a formidable force. And now, the burning question:”What’s the average direct mail response rate?” Keep reading to find out!
Before diving into the average response rate, let’s go over the basics. Response rate indicates the percentage of recipients who take the desired action in response to a direct mail campaign, whether that’s making a purchase, signing up for a newsletter, or visiting a website.
You might be wondering what defines a good response rate for direct mail. Honestly, it varies. From the economic climate to consumer demographics, several external factors can play a role in your conversion rate.
But don’t let these factors discourage you, direct mail marketing services are highly effective. To understand the impact of direct mail on American households, check out the research below:
- Direct mail boasts an impressive engagement rate of 95%, and once delivered, it’s interacted with at least 4 more times at home.
- Studies show that 70% of people take online action, with an additional and 35% making purchases due to direct mail.
Direct mail is read more often than email across all age groups. Moreover, nearly 71% of consumers anticipate its daily arrival.
- A record 96% of mail was engaged with during the course of 2020, showcasing a significant increase from 2019’s engagement rate of 91%.
- Business mail stays in the home for over four weeks, and 75% of recipients revisit it five different times, on average.
Direct mail response rates are 5 to 9 times higher than any other advertising channel.
- Nearly 39% of consumers have admitted to trying a business for the first time because of receiving direct mail.
- In 2018, the average American household received 454 pieces of mail, with 57% opening addressed envelopes, and 48.5% taking the time to look at the content.
- Between 2017 and 2018, direct mail’s response rate increased from 2.9% to 4.9% for prospect lists and 5.1% to 9% for residential lists.
- Household mail has a 9% response rate, surpassing email, paid search, and social media, which sits at just 1%.
- An astounding 31% of mail items remain at home a month after delivery, giving potential customers more time to interact with your message.
- 76% of consumers say they “trust” direct mail, which is just 6% less than ads in newspapers and magazines. The best part? It’s substantially cheaper than running print ads.
- 42% of recipients either read or scan the direct mail they receive.
- 56% of consumers who respond to direct mail end up taking online or in-store actions.
- An impressive 62% of direct mail responders, eventually, end up making a purchase.
- 66% of direct mail is opened, and 82% is read for a minute or more.
Still wondering how effective direct mail marketing really is? Amidst the digital frenzy of emails, social media, and online ads, the impact of thoughtfully crafted physical communication often goes unnoticed. But make no mistake, direct mail is here to stay—have a look at a few reasons why.
In a world dominated by digital noise, direct mail stands out as a refreshingly different prospecting method.
- Easily Establish Connections: In a world where online exchanges come and go, direct mail’s magic lies in creating genuine personal connections. When recipients can hold advertisements in their hands, it creates a lasting impression that resonates far beyond a simple “click.”
- Connect and Convert: Direct mail marketing services allow you to infuse your message with a personal touch, forging a deep connection with your audience.
- Multichannel Marketing Campaigns: Direct mail is meant to complement, not compete, with your digital campaigns. Together, you’re able to unleash a powerful synergy that amplifies your outreach efforts.
- Leave a Lasting Impression: While emails vanish in seconds, direct mail stays around much longer. A thoughtfully crafted piece can claim its spot on a desk, refrigerator, or bulletin board for days, weeks, or even months.
- Higher Response Rates: Forget about being lost in a sea of emails or buried in an overflowing social media feed, direct mail’s response rates soar far above its digital counterparts, ensuring your message gets noticed and acted upon.
When it comes to direct mail response rates, the statistics don’t lie. The resurgence of physical, personalized mail isn’t just a nostalgic throwback, it’s a calculated move that yields impressive results.
Presort Inc. understands that to boost your conversion rate, you need more than just postage and postcards. That’s why we take a comprehensive approach to your marketing campaigns, delivering tailor-made pieces directly to the doorsteps of your target audience.
Don’t let your message disappear in the digital clutter. Click here to elevate your marketing efforts with a personalized connection.