Parcel post shipping services are quickly booming in popularity, especially since the onset of the pandemic. But what has contributed to this workload spike, and what does this mean for the parcel industry? Keep reading for an in-depth look at the parcel sorting system and its immense impact on the postal service.
Parcel mail—or parcel post—is a form of shipping that involves sending small packages or parcels by mail or courier service. Typically slower than standard letter post delivery, it’s often used to send items such as books, electronics, clothes, toys, and other goods. Parcels can be sent within a city, across states, or even on an intercontinental basis.
Since its inception, parcel post has significantly impacted how courier companies do business. Traditionally, parcels had to be manually sorted and delivered by couriers—a labor-intensive and often time-consuming process. However, with the advent of modern technology like e-commerce distribution centers and the rise in online shopping, parcel services have grown exponentially.
Parcel mail services offer more affordable prices and reliable delivery times than traditional post services. Many companies, especially e-commerce businesses, are now relying on these services to deliver their products to consumers. As a result, parcel mail has created an unprecedented demand for efficient logistics and sorting systems to handle the rising number of parcels arriving in warehouses or distribution centers.
To meet this need, parcel companies have developed automated parcel sorting systems that use package sorters and conveyors to quickly sort items according to their destination address.
Parcel separating services are a sign of the future, but direct mail will never go out of style. Learn more about our comprehensive direct mail marketing services.
The parcel sorting system involves various machines and processes that work together to enhance sorter utilization by 50% and reduce shipping costs by up to 20%. This efficient cost-saving process includes the following steps:
- Parcels arrive at the sorting facility and are scanned to identify their tracking numbers and destinations.
- The packages are then placed onto a conveyor belt, which transports them to the next stage of sorting.
- The parcels are sorted by size and weight on an automated sorting machine, which uses barcode scanners and cameras to recognize each package’s unique features.
- After being sorted, each package is placed into a designated bin or carrier.
- Packages are then loaded onto trucks depending on their destination. This is done by another automated system that uses a series of sensors and robotic arms to ensure the packages are properly distributed among the trucks.
- Once the packages have been delivered to their destinations, they are scanned again and sorted into their final locations for delivery.
While automation solutions are common in the sorting process, many parcel companies are embracing advanced technology such as artificial intelligence (AI) algorithms, which can detect irregularities in items like labels or sizes that could impact delivery accuracy.
If an item is labeled incorrectly or contains incorrect dimensions, the AI can detect it before it reaches its destination address so it can be rerouted accordingly. This eliminates delays in shipments due to mislabeling or incorrect measurements, which translates to better customer satisfaction rates and improved customer service overall.
As established, one of the reasons parcel post is so popular today is because it’s a cost-effective and efficient shipping solution for businesses of all sizes. While other shipping methods like LTL freight require larger shipments, parcel post offers a more tailored approach to suit the needs of smaller packages. Here are some additional benefits of parcel mail that e-commerce business can enjoy:
- Scalability – Parcel post is an excellent choice for businesses that need to ship a variety of items. It’s easy to scale up or down depending on the size and weight of the package, making this an ideal choice for businesses with fluctuating shipping needs. Parcel post is also the best choice for shipping heavy packages.
- Compliance – Delivery service companies can enjoy guaranteed compliance with safety regulations, like those related to hazardous materials handling practices (HMR).
- Less Human Error – With automated parcel sorting, businesses can avoid the delays associated with incorrectly placed packages while decreasing costs associated with labor expenses.
- Tracking & Improved Inventory Management – With modern sortation systems, companies can easily keep track of their shipments with access to tracking numbers and delivery notifications. This helps ensure that packages are delivered on time and prevents delays due to lost or misplaced packages.
- Versatility – The parcel mailing system offers a wide range of options for businesses, including standard ground delivery, priority shipping, and even international shipping, making it an especially great option for businesses that need to ship items to customers all around the world.
Altogether, parcel sorting systems have revolutionized the way we ship items, making it faster, easier, and more efficient than ever before. As this form of mail delivery has grown immensely, we can only expect it to grow even more.
Overall, the evolution of parcel shipping in years to come looks very promising. As businesses become more accustomed to e-commerce, they can expect to see a rise in parcel delivery services tailored for their needs. This could include the rise in shipping by gig economy couriers, more drone technology, and even more automation. In addition, we can anticipate more partnerships between parcel companies and retailers, which could help businesses save money associated with shipping costs.
Presort ensures a seamless and efficient parcel sorting process that meets our clients’ business needs. We understand the importance of saving time and money, and our commitment to excellence means your parcels will arrive on time without any hassle.
Get in touch with us today to find out how our parcel sorting system can benefit your business.