How to Write Direct Mail and Ensure Your Audience Understands Content
Learn about the 5 key components that enable you to write effective direct mail copy, help your audience to understand your business, and convert leads to sales.
The Importance of Writing Direct Mail Copy
Writing effective direct mail is a vital marketing tool for presenting your business as reputable and reliable. If you want a surer guarantee that your postcards, flyers, and other mailers will be effective and have maximum impact on your target audience, it’s crucial to make some key determinations that can lead to success.
Best Practices for Direct Mailing
Since we’ve been in business the past 30+ years, we are well practiced in the design and implementation of mailing campaigns. In addition, we have adapted to the changing technology to best maximize the return on your investment. The most vital issues to keep in mind are the timing of your mailing, and at what frequency you should be sending out your messages.
Best Practices for Direct Mail Copy
When writing direct mail copy, focus on these five fundamental elements to ensure you’re presenting prospects with the most effective mailers:
- Understand Your Target Audience: Who are you selling to? What do those people look like? What are their interests? What is important to them? What solution are you offering? Will that solution be effective? When you can answer these questions for yourself, you will be able to relate to your audience more effectively, and get to the root of their desires, which forms the basis for the ability to sell them on your business, services, or products.
- Know the Numbers: What creative design is most effective? Have you tried variations to your mailer and tracked which one had the greatest impact? Are you tweaking your mailers when it should be done because you’ve noted declining results? Are you testing, measuring, and optimizing your mailers? When you see the results of your direct mail efforts, you will be able to create the most ideal mailers, because you are tracking them and will therefore grasp their effectiveness.
- Contact Information: Are you providing multiple avenues for a response via a Personal URL, QR code, phone number, or business location? Are you tracking which contact information gets the greatest response? Are you creating effective funnels and marketing pages that result in lead conversions? When you offer multiple ways to respond, you are more likely to get a response, because there will be something for a variety of customers, and you have made it simple for them. In addition, when you include the name of the individual, that prospect is more likely to investigate.
- Have a Call to Action: Are you expressing urgency? Is there a promotional deal on your product, services, or business? Are you expressing or emphasizing the utility of your business and how it helps to solve their problems and provide solutions? When you create promotional deals, generate a sense of urgency about those deals, and solve the client’s problem, potential clients can’t help but desire to take action.
- Keep the Message Clear and Simple: Do they know the name of your business and what you do? Is your mailer well organized and fully proofread? Is the design easy on the eyes, and the font simple to read? Is there a direct call to action? Are the message and product clear and does the message target your intended audience? When you focus on a good design that is clear and to the point, prospective customers experience less confusion.
Recognize the Success of Your Mailers and Determine How They Can be Optimized to Ensure Greater Success!
Effectiveness of Proper Direct Mail Copy
It is crucial to note that many people assert that direct mailers are an archaic marketing practice, but an array of case studies have shown this is wrong. When you pair direct mailers with a PURL and/or QR code, you are more likely to increase your overall conversion rates.
When compared to online marketing alone, direct mailers are more likely to be read multiple times. In addition, potential clients spend about 3 minutes reading a mailer, whereas they will often delete an email that appears to be spam.
Also, customers tend to trust mail marketing campaigns over online marketing emails. This does not nullify the usefulness of online marketing tactics, landing pages, and funnels. When direct mail is paired with the ease and streamlined approach of an online platform, sales increase substantially over the use of only one system or the other. By pairing these other strategies with best practices for direct mail copy, you’re more likely to achieve success in your marketing campaign.
Direct Mail Copy that Sells
When you utilize the 5 key components that create effective direct mail copy, you will minimize confusion and your company’s purpose is clear. By understanding your target audience and designing your mailer to attract their attention, you will be able to sell them effectively on your solutions to their problem.
It is also vital to create multiple channels and funnel pages, because those result in solid leads that convert to sales. You should also make your mailer time-sensitive to encourage your client to take action.
Remember to readjust and tweak your mailer as needed. This can be done by documenting and following the market trends and results of your efforts.
Re-evaluate the results on a consistent basis to give yourself a clear sense of where the strengths and weaknesses are in your direct mailing approach. When you include all these tactics, and make your message clear and concise, your potential clients will be more likely to respond, and your sales will increase.
Presort Inc. Knows How To Write Direct Mail Copy That Sells
By focusing on the 5 Elements that create effective direct mail copy and using our decades of experience, we help transform direct mail campaigns into considerable returns on investment. Reach out to Presort Inc. to work with our experts and turn your copy into sales and revenue today!